Hello readers! This post isn’t about what I’m changing and new things I’m doing. Switching things up, today I’m going to tell you about something that won’t change.
Fantasy world populations: huge and strange
The Sun Child Chronicles develops a huge cast of characters and creatures by the time it gets into the fifth book. The variety of experience for readers (and authors) is one of the things I love best about the genre. Fantasy plots are thick and enticing. Well-written fantasy usually often includes delightfully balanced prose—lyrical, but not overdone. But I love the vast potential for variety in the beings that inhabit a fantasy world. To complicate things even more deliciously, some fantasies also venture into sci-fi. In The Sun Child Creatures, the Terrathians and their strange apparatus definitely fall into that category, along with some plot and world-structure elements.
Lists and pictures and things, oh my!
Below you’ll find a glossary-type list of some of the characters, beasts, and creatures introduced by book 3 in The Sun Child Chronicles. I hope you enjoy it, but if you want to go looking for other strange creatures, here are a few references I found.
- A list with some images of creatures from mythology, on mythologian.net
- Here’s a Pinterest (Shelby Peterson) with hundreds of images of “humanoid” fantasy beings. View with caution. Some images may be dark or disturbing.
- And—no surprise—there’s a Wikipedia! The Fantasy Creatures Category has a list with many subcategories. One could get lost down this rabbit hole!
Characters and Creatures
(A List of some important players introduced in Key of Behliseth, Wraith Queen’s Veil, and Ciarrah’s Light)
The Main Characters
- Lucky, a.k.a. Luccan Elieth Perdhro, Suth Chiell: The Sun Child
- Han Rha-Behl Ah’Shieth: Lucky’s uncle, the Wizard’s Left Hand, chief military commander of the Ethran Sunlands, bearer of the Mark of the Sun, telepath
- Thurlock Ol’Karrigh: The Premier Wizard of the Ethran Sunlands
Others, in Alphabetical Order
- Aedanh: Liliana’s renowned stallion
- Ahrion: a legendary white winged horse
- Alahn Kahrry: an elder of the Sisterhold
- Artko Mak: A bear shifter from Earth
- Baneshieldh: wolf who rules his forest, where magic doesn’t work
- Black Dragon: a rare wingless dragon native to the Ehls
- Blue Drakes: a magically mutated creature made from green dragon eggs
- Cairnwights: thin humanoid residents of Ethra’s far north, glacier wolf handlers
- Caveblight: an Ethran animal, single eye, hunts by heat, teeth like a beaver but pointed
- Ciarrah: an ancient dragon-kin girl, Niamh’s sister, now an obsidian magical dagger
- Dawn cats: large wild felines who hunt at dawn, also called venom cats or death kittens
- Gerania: second in command of Behlishan’s Guard, Zhevi’s mother’s cousin
- Ghriffon: King of the flame eagles
- Glacier wolves: a pack-oriented Ethran canine; large, shaggy, with double rows of teeth
- Guriohl: Morrow’s seventh son, Lucky’s boyfriend, also known as Rio
- Hank George: older Earthborn man of the Kotah’neh people, took Lucky in when he was banished to Earth at age 12
- Henry George: nephew of Hank George, last bearer of the Mark of the Others, Sacramento firefighter, California Condor Shifter
- Isa, the Witch-Mortaine: a witch thoroughly possessed by evil
- Jehnseth: an official at the Sisterhold, a witch
- Khoralie: a wizard of Ethra
- Koehl: sergeant in Behlishan’s Guard
- K’ormahk: a mighty, winged black stallion
- L’Aria Tira: young girl tied to Lucky by prophecy, only child of Tiro L’Rieve, possessor of River Song magic
- Lemon Martinez: a grumpy grey cat Thurlock and Han found under the Martinez Bridge
- Liliana, The Lady Grace: Lucky’s mother, member of the Sunlands council, chief of the elite cavalry known as Shanha’s Rangers, renowned and infamous witch
- Mahros: ill-tempered, resentful, powerful wizard related to Thurlock;
- Maizie: a yellow mongrel dog Lucky raised during his time as a homeless teen
- Morrow, the Stable Master: an immortal who, with his seven sons, raises horses
- Nahk’tesh: Naht’kah’s eternal consort and her magical opposite, also known as the taker
- Naht’kah: ancestor of all dragons and the Drakha and Droghona, also known as the giver
- Nat’Kori: ancient Drakha stone wright who shaped Ciarrah and Niamh
- Niamh: an ancient dragon-kin boy, Ciarrah’s brother, now an amber magical dagger
- Olana: respected Droghona elder, gifted light-worker
- Olmar: lieutenant (later captain) in Behlishan’s Guard
- Pahlanus: powerful Terrathian Prime
- Rosishan: Lucky’s aunt, Liliana’s half sister, council member, renowned witch
- Sherah: Thurlock’s renowned mare
- Simarrohn: Han’s well-trained mare
- Tahlina: healer at the Sisterhold
- Talon Bastien: speaker of the eagle-shifter clan from Earth
- Tennehk: Good friend of Han, spy, nurse
- Tiro L’Rieve: oldest living being in Ethra, only native Ethran shifter, origin of River Song magic, L’Aria’s father
- Windrunner: An old white horse now known as Windy
- Wraith Queen: the wraith of a once living queen; helps the Ethran dead move on
- Zefrehl: Lucky’s horse, a descendant of Windrunner
- Zhevi: young soldier, Lucky’s good friend, L’Aria’s boyfriend
Thanks for reading!
I hope these brief descriptions set your imagination spinning. 🙂 And please feel free to ask questions or comment—tell me your favorite creature or whatever. You can comment here or find me on Facebook or Twitter.
Find my Lou Hoffmann Books page on Facebook
On Twitter, I’m @Lou_Hoffmann